[TowerTalk] Grounding a roof tower

To: Towertalk e-Goups <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding a roof tower
From: Stu Ritter <ritter@privatei.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 08:20:31 -0600
I have had a tower on my roof since I started playing
radio in 1988. My house is post and beam and the
tower is mounted right above the main roof beam
and that load is connected to the main floor beam to
earth for support.

My original tower was 50' off the roof with a TH7. Now,
I am down to 20' with a C4. I have always used 4/0
welding cable physically attached to the leg of the tower
for ground. The ground cable from the tower to the
several ground rods runs about 20' from the tower to
the first ground rod. There are 3 ground rods (8 ft.)
all connected with 4/0 welding cable. All incoming
co-ax goes through Polyphaser lightening protection.

I clean the physical ground connections frequently and
keep them weatherproofed as much as possible.

Would anyone have any suggestions for improvement
of the ground system given that I must keep the tower
on the roof.

thanks,

Stu
N0LEF