Re: [TowerTalk] Need Input on Best Antenna for Stationary RV

To: Edward Sylvester <navydude1962@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need Input on Best Antenna for Stationary RV
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 09:10:44 -0400

Edward Sylvester wrote:
> Trying to devise best antenna system for RV situation.  I think I would like
> to go with the Hygain AV-640 with DX Engineering Tilt Over Base, attached to
> Roof Ladder.  I want to be able to break this down quickly and in some parks,
> won't have the luxury nor the time to deal with wire antennas.
>
> I like the 640 because it's all band, minus 80/160m and it handles moderate
> power.  But I am open to other ideas....

I really like the AV640, It's relatively easy to raise and you could use
a 10-12' mast hinged at the back of the RV. It's relatively broad and
works well on all bands, 40 - 6. It'll take the legal limit on all bands
but 6 where it's rated at 20 or 300 watts,  BUT the stubs make it a
rather delicate antenna to handle. OTOH the longest stub comes apart
easily and there is a place to take the antenna apart very close to that
spot.  It depends on how short a package you need once broken down.  If
you need to go shorter than half, it's probably going to take some care
assembling and disassembling.

Good Luck,

Roger (K8RI)