Re: [TowerTalk] For Chrome Moly and tower/wind load experts out there -

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] For Chrome Moly and tower/wind load experts out there - Mountain top tower installation
From: "DF3KV" <df3kv@t-online.de>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 02:13:02 +0200
I would go for 5" masts or larger on that location for sure.
A typical ham rotator on that installation will not last very long.
Go for a commercial gearbox and drive like a large garage door opening
device which I used with good success for 9 years until I moved qth.
It was even cheaper then the largest ham rotator by available at that time.

http://www.pbase.com/df3kv/image/50045854

http://www.pbase.com/df3kv/image/50045859

http://www.pbase.com/df3kv/image/21712154

Om my present installation I use a slew ring drive, the mast is 6" with 1/4"
wall, 95000 p.s.i.

http://www.pbase.com/df3kv/image/64082562

http://www.pbase.com/df3kv/image/74546750

http://www.pbase.com/df3kv/image/74546749