[TowerTalk] Tension on guys

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tension on guys
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 16:52:25 -0600
I use 3/16 EHS for the bottom guys, with strain (Johnny-ball) insulators, and
the comparable-sized Phillystran for the upper guys for my 45 foot 25G. It was
put up in November 2008, expecting 10 sq ft load, 70 MPH winds, little icing in
Santa Fe county. You'd want to use a leader of EHS at the bottom end of the
Phillystran guys to your ground anchors to prevent accidents from burning weeds
& silly kids with a sharp knife. It is then simple to use a Loos PT2 to measure
tension on that leader as long as its about 2 feet long (after the U clamps and
thimbles).
73
John K5PRO