Re: [TowerTalk] Planning tool query

To: towertalk@contesting.com, dieven@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Planning tool query
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 20:28:44 EDT

In a message dated 9/9/2009 10:45:11 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I'm contemplating my first guyed tower with side-mounted  antennas.

>  What sorts of planning tools do people use to  determine if the antennas
of
various turning radii will clear guy  wires?

Stan, W7NI, used to have a website  that had a sidemount calculator on it.
I wasn't able to find it in a  precursory look but it still might be there
somewhere.. Try contacting Stan  directly at _w7ni@easystreet.com_
(mailto:w7ni@easystreet.com) .

>   In my planning efforts I'll be contemplating several "what if" sorts  of
questions. I think I can do this with (a lot of) graph paper and a  spread
sheet and some basic trig, but I'm hoping for something that might  be more
visual.

         My experience was  that you need a minimum of 31" between elements
(e.g, TH7) in order to get  it to turn around 45G with a swinging gate
sidemount. Calculations for distance  to guys is a little more involved but
I've
used graph paper with reasonable  results. I think you have some guy wire
challenges so my suggestion is to go  with 4L antennas - good performance
from a 2 stack and lots of room between  the elements simplifying the
sidemounting.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH