Re: [TowerTalk] LightningProtectionDevicesPolyP, Response DAVIS RF Co.

To: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LightningProtectionDevicesPolyP, Response DAVIS RF Co.
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:05:10 -0700
Gary Schafer wrote:
> Polyphaser has used gas tubes in their coax protection devices from day one.
>
> The reason for the series capacitor is to allow the gas tube to fire before
> enough energy is passed into the circuit following the protector. If there
> was  no capacitor and the radio or cavity following the protector had a coil
> in its circuit that provided a DC ground then the gas tube would not fire
> until a large amount of energy passed into the coil and into the radio etc.
>
> 73
> Gary  K4FMX

The actual gas tube (or vacuum gap, such as the Victoreen or Philips
ones used commonly) fires pretty fast (nanoseconds, certainly less than
microseconds), although it's rise time  and voltage dependent (more
overvoltage=faster breakdown). The primary limit is the series L of the
leads interacting with the series C across the gap, but that's
nanohenries and picofarads. There's a fairly small time for the ions to
propagate across the (very short) gap, as well.

Looking up gas tube devices, I found the first one in Digikey, a Lumex
GT-BG75L, which claims it breaks down at 75V with 100V/s and 450V with
100V/us rise time (= 4.5 usec).

It also says that with 1kV/us the response time is 10 ns, and with
5kV/us it breaks down in 1 ns.  1kV/ms is a pretty sluggish 10 us.

Zeners and fets are fast, but probably not a whole lot faster,
especially for substantial overvoltage.  They might be faster for small
overvoltages.

I suppose a lot really depends on the kind of transient you're likely to
see, and what kind of clamping behavior you want.