[TowerTalk] question about Phillystran

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] question about Phillystran
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 18:32:26 -0400
So you're considering using Phillystran guy cable and your concern is that
the Big Grip will unravel due to ice?  Big Grips come with a small cable tie
to hold it together, but it's a very weak cable tie.  I suppose that you
could use a stronger cable tie.  In Illinois I had two towers that used
Phillystran guys with Big Grips and had no unraveling problem even after
some of the small cable ties fell off.  I did have an unraveling problem at
my station in Aruba, but this was due to corrosion of the Big Grips.  Before
Big Grips were available Phillystran was terminated with cable clamps, but I
guess this is no longer recommended.  Phillystran can make cables for you
with Spelter Sockets attached if you are really concerned about using Big
Grips.

John KK9A