Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone Using a Fulton KW3000 Winch with Powerful 1/2 inc

To: Dennis Vernacchia <n6ki73@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone Using a Fulton KW3000 Winch with Powerful 1/2 inch Pistol Drill for tower tilting ?
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 20:27:47 -0700
I have done extensive work on this problem for tilting my HDX5106.
I have the KW3000 and have tried various drills.  BTW, on my web site,
there is a simple drill to winch shaft adapter made out of hardware
store parts--little or no machining.
(http://www.n6rk.com/drill_adapter_for_winch/drill_adapter_for_winch.html).

I configured the KW3000 so that clockwise is up.  The way it
came, clockwise was down.  It takes a lot more force going up
than down with a worm gear winch (unlike a brake type that
requires equal force going down).  Now I can use antique non
reversible drills to tilt up the tower.  Any decent drill can
lower it.

You MUST NOT use a fixed speed 300 RPM drill, because it will
overheat the winch!  The most powerful drill I know of that is
variable is the Milwaukee right angle drill.  Just below the
Hole Hawg in the line.  What happens with the Milwaukee RA
drill is that it overheats after a minute or so.  Right now
I take turns hand cranking and using the drill until the tower
is about 30 degrees.  Then the drill is OK.

The next step I might try is to use either a Hole Hawg or an
antique drill (I have several that will break your wrist)
in conjunction with an external motor speed control.  They
used to sell these 40 years ago, but I will probably have to
build my own.

OTOH, US Tower makes a motorized tilt winch for their trailer towers.
I think I might just throw in the towel and get one of those.

If anybody has any bright ideas on this, I am still looking
for a breakthrough.  I am going to do some experimental modifications
to the MonstIR that will require a lot of trial and error, so I
need to be able to go up and down easily.

Rick N6RK