Re: [TowerTalk] What happened to the R6 and R8

To: Tower Talk <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What happened to the R6 and R8
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 16:12:57 -0400
> On Oct 4, 2009, at 11:36 PM, Roger (K8RI) wrote:
>> Cushcraft had the R6 and R8 verticals which used stubs much like the
>> Hy-Gain AV-640. I no longer find them in the MFJ catalog. Did MFJ
>> drop them?
Thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction.

Man, but those sure look like the Hy-Gain AV-640 except for the two
traps. The stubs, and even insulators look almost identical to those on
the AV-640. They probably aren't but the photos could be interchanged.
The top hats are constructed differently and appear to be a bit more
rugged than the dead soft aluminum ones on the Hy-Gain. The Hy-Gain is
considerably less money too. OTOH the R8 and R6000 *appear* to have
higher ratings, at least on 6.  I couldn't find any information on the
matching network but it too (from the outside) appears to be much like
the Hy-Gain. I did note that like the Hy-Gain they say not to mount it
on the ground.  Hy-Gain says 5' above any conducting surface while says 10'.
I'm not particularly fond of MFJ, but if they make a good 80-10 or 80-6
comparable to the AV640 which is 40-6 (derated on 6) I'd be interested
in using one for a backup antenna.

Roger (K8RI)