[TowerTalk] HyTower query

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HyTower query
From: "Dick Dievendorff" <>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 15:26:40 -0700
I'm preparing to install my first HyTower.

I'd like to be able to use the antenna on the low end of 80 meters, and from
the HyTower manual it appears that I need to switch in a loading coil that
is described in figure 13 of their manual (Airdux 4 TPI, 3"  ID by 10"
long), which can be acquired from HyGain as their LC-160Q, and I need to be
able to switch the coil out on 20 and 75 meters.

The manual indicates that there's a 300 watt limitation with this solution,
which I read to be a 300 watt limitation on 160 meters; the power limit on
80 meters is still the legal limit. Is that right?

The alternative 160 meter solution is an MK-160 40 meter trap and wire
assembly, which offers more bandwidth and works differently than adding
length to the 80 meter wire.

If I want full-power 160 meter transmit capability and full power 80 meter
CW capability, should I install both the MK-160 and the LC-160Q coil, and
switch the coil in only for 80 meters?

Dick, K6KR