Re: [TowerTalk] Insulators

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Insulators
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 20:57:54 +0000
Just remember, you get what you pay for... and if a material isn't designed
for a specific job then it may not do a very good job at it.  in my
experience electric fence post material degrades pretty quickly in the
sun/rain, after only a year or two the whole surface is nothing but loose
fibers.  So if nothing else you might want to consider some uv protective
paint on it.

By comparison, this material is a bit more expensive ($39.54/5'), but comes
with known size tolerance, tensile strength specs, and statements about
environmental performance.  http://www.mcmaster.com/#8543k11/=3zm45w
And could probably be on your doorstep Monday or Tuesday.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net