Re: [TowerTalk] Half-Square Guidance

To: "Michael Dinkelman" <mwdink@eskimo.com>, "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Half-Square Guidance
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:16:35 -0400
Dink,

The articles on half squares and grounded half squares do have two identical
antennas at right angles to each other.  But as you mention having the
towers could cause a problem although K4DLI has his rounded half loop only a
few feet away from his 70 foot tower.  See a recent NCJ for a description.

Another possibility is to use the actual towers as a grounded half loop for
160 if you can get 130 to 135 feet between the two.  The 160 grounded loop
will also work on 80/75 and other bands.  The grounded half loop is a pet of
Dr. Dave Fischer W7FB (ex W0MHS) or Dr. Loop Skywire.  K4TEA has his design
with 32 radials at each end and a wire back to connect the two radial
fields.  You feed this at the base.  You would probably need to  detune the
base so it appears to be off the ground on the
feed point end.

73 Dave K4JRB