Re: [TowerTalk] Ham Radio family electrocuted

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ham Radio family electrocuted
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 01:23:43 -0400
Peter Larsen wrote:
> In my opinion, you should keep any tower/antenna at least twice the height
> of the antenna from any power line.

Of course that's often not possible. We (my crew and I) regularly work
on commercial towers that are only 30'-40' feet from 13KV. If the
structure is safe and you know what you're doing, the danger is minimized.

Unfortunately the 13KV lines that feed my own house split my property in
half. In order to fit the towers that I wanted on my property, I had to
violate the 1X distance 'rule' on one of them.  But it's guyed well and
I'm comfortable working on it.

Weekend warriors, if faced with a special situation that calls out for a
professional crew, should hire a professional crew, there's no doubt
about that...

73,

Steve K8LX