[TowerTalk] Prop Pitch Motor

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Prop Pitch Motor
From: "w2lu" <w2lu@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 14:35:34 -0400
I am using a "small" prop pitch motor to rotate a 7-50 Mhz LP (15 ele on a 45
foot boom).The power supply (about 24 VDC) was at the top of the tower (100
feet). I recently burned out the bridge rectifier and decided, since I'm not as
fond of climbing as I was a few dcades ago, to move the power supply, relays,
etc. to the base of the tower. I have run a three wire (two plus ground)
"burial " cable (12 guage) from the motor to the base of the tower. I figured
about 0.5 ohm at about 10 amps would give five volt drop so I wanted 30 VDC at
the base of the tower. This gives me not more than 1/4 rpm. It was about 3/4
rpm with the 24VDC PS at the top of the tower. How  much voltage should I dare
put on it? Other possible problems like rusty bearings (Yeasu mast bearing, or
inside the PPM), worn brushes and /or commutator (new brushes and turned
commutator with only 3-4 years light service) possibly caused by oil leaking
down from the gear box,
   Since it's basically working, hopefully there's just more IR drop than I
calculated - 200 foot round trip of #12 plus a couple of sets of plug contacts
and connections into the motor. I just don't want to make things any worse by
going too high with the voltage. What does the VDC/RPM curve look like?

Gene / W2LU