[TowerTalk] Log periodic antennas and front end overload?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Log periodic antennas and front end overload?
From: Mat Eshpeter <kk1c@live.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 19:55:58 -0400
I have searched the Towertalk archives and read that log periodic antennas can
have the undesirable side effect of capturing too much RF; their broadbanded
capability results in all signals in the antenna's "passband" being presented
to the receiver. Strong out-of-band signals such as SW broadcast signals,
strong contest stations, etc. could lead to undesirable performance at the
receiver -- it is this issue that I am trying to quantify.

I am looking for solid factual experience from folks who have directly
witnessed how log periodic antennas can affect the front end of today's HF
transceivers. My ridge-top QTH will have a clear shot to the horizon in almost
all directions and I am trying to figure out if a log periodic will work for
me. The other option would be a multiband antenna like the Force 12 5BA or
similar.

thanks in advance,
Mat
KK1C