Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete base spec info requested

To: Ray <rayn6vr@cableone.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete base spec info requested
From: Kevin Normoyle <knormoyle@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 19:33:42 -0700
Are you in charge of the pour yourself?

I'm not a concrete guy, but I think a conversation with your readymix
supplier would help.
I think you've got some other issues to ponder.

Looking at the weather for Prescott, AZ, it says rain/snow starting on
Tues, with lows below freezing (down to 24 on Thurs)
Highs wed through thurs of 43 to 49.  Depends on your point of view, but
some might say that adds up to a cold-weather pour.

You may want more portland cement just to get an early strength to not
worry about the concrete freezing before it's cured..(like a 7 sack
mix?). You don't want to pour on frozen ground. With the chance of
freezing, you definitely don't want too wet a mix. But a 5-6" slump mix
is a lot easier to deal with in moving it around the rebar.

If you're using a concrete pumper, then that affects your order. would
mean: smaller rock (pea gravel), more portland (like at least a 6 sack mix).

Smaller rock is less strong but easier to move around the rebar and
stuff. Your concrete guy might have a mix that's half 3/4" rock and half
3/8'" or something like that, which is nice even if you're dumping it
off the tailgate into your hole.

In short, I'd call up your concrete guy and ask him what's typically
done for the area, given the weather prediction. If there wasn't the
weather issue, I'd just order what I just ordered: a 6 sack mix, with a
mix of rock from 1/2" to 3/4", with 5"-6" slump at the truck.. You might
ask if they do hot water mixes at this time of year in your area.

Seems a little late to be wondering about the concrete: have you thought
through all the details of the pour (if you're doing it?) Things happen
fast and you have to have all your tools and plans for how things should
happen, all sorted out beforehand.

You might want to insulate the top of the pour (after covering with
plastic).

Sounds like there's no permit to worry about. You usually don't want to
show high strength concrete on the plans if you can avoid it, since it
may trigger the need for a concrete test which is a waste of money.
(code says anything over 2500 psi should be tested).

A six bag mix will get you 3000-4000psi. a 7 bag mix 3500-5000psi.
Basically, the compressive strength is not really what you should be
worrying about.

-kevin
AD6Z