Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft A4 VSWR curves

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft A4 VSWR curves
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 17:25:02 -0600
First, my apology for not changing the previous message subject... I RX
Towertalk
in digest mode and forgot to correct that.

Joe, W4TV, send me a photograph of a trap that was disassembled. It is indeed
possible to reverse a trap on the element if you are not aware they should be
installed in only one direction. So this is not folklore, it's reality.

Weather permitting, the antenna will be looked at tomorrow. I'll update with
any
findings that were made.

In the meantime, if anyone has more VSWR data to send me, I'm ready for it.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

"What I have read while searching the internet is Cushcraft did a poor job of
labeling the traps, so it's possible to install them in the wrong position.
Someone also claimed that traps could be installed "backwards". Because a
trap is a parallel L & C circuit, I can't see how a trap could be
"directional". I believe this is "folklore" that belongs with some of the
other urban legends floating around in the ham circles. Without physically
inspecting the antenna I don't know if this is even possible."