Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Stainless Steel Mast

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Stainless Steel Mast
From: Michael Goins <wmgoins@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 12:14:02 -0600
I beg to differ, Hans, regarding the tall masts.

Irrigation piping, often in 2-6 or bigger inch sizes, is primarily for
the transfer of liquids (usually water) across fields. It is thin-wall
so it can be carried easily and, if examined in the field, it is often
bend and dented. It CAN make a great vertical, but the wall thickness
is a factor that has to be considered and it is not possible to use it
for mast of any kind without substantial guying - it certainly could
never be used as tower rotation masting. It is thin so it is light as
it is carried to where it is needed and really is generally only
strong enough for its intended purpose.

That said, I have looked at the 6" several times as a possible 80
meter vertical if guyed properly, but it would require some planning
because it will collapse.

Michael Goins, k5wmg
Pipe Creek, Texas
Fast cars, slow boats, big dogs, and summers off to write