Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Dbi vs DBd

To: "Bill Aycock" <billaycock@centurytel.net>, "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>, "\"'Tower Talk'\"" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Dbi vs DBd
From: "w2lu" <w2lu@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 23:33:06 -0500
Just keep in mind that the commonly refered to dbd = dbi +2.15   commonly
assumes peak dbd in free space and dbi in free space. When you move to half
space, or above ground, things start getting sticky. How high above ground ?
How good is the ground ?  What evelation and azmiuth  angle ?
....................... But if your antenna peaks at 8 dbi in free space and
your competitor's antenna  peaks at 12 dbi in  free space, and you're both
running the same power, chances he'll beat you in a pileup.