[TowerTalk] Vertical Antenna Close to Fresh Water

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertical Antenna Close to Fresh Water
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:27:41 -0800 (PST)
There was a short discussion a while ago on whether a vertical was better
ground mounted fed against ground radials or up in the air fed against resonant
radials. The general consensus was that 'up in the air' was better - but that
is directly contrary to my experience.

The only thing different about my situation is that I have several verticals
very close to the edge of a large fresh water lake. They work better than
similar verticals several hundred feet from the lake, and better than verticals
up in the air.

Conventional wisdom has it that as the conductivity of fresh water is quite
low, it should make no difference at all - but it seems that in my case it
does. I have a couple of hypotheses and would welcome comments:

(1) The soil in this area is pretty poor with rock a foot or two below the
surface everywhere. Anything must be better than that - but surely a large
ground system would negate that.

(2) The surface of the lake is pretty flat (:-) so that there is a good first
reflection - better than that from rocks and trees. ('My' lake is north of my
property, and as I am on a bit of a promontory covers rather more than 180
degrees.)

Any thoughts?

73 Roger
VE3ZI