Re: [TowerTalk] 3/8 Wave Vertical Questions

To: Tower Talk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 3/8 Wave Vertical Questions
From: Terry Conboy <n6ry@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 11:19:58 -0800
Larry,

The high current point will be very close to 1/4 wl from the open end of
the inverted L, for any configuration whose length exceeds 1/4 wl.

However, although increasing the length of an inverted-L to 3/8 wl will
elevate the current maxima, raise the feedpoint Z, and increase the
overall efficiency, the improvement in signal is usually horizontally
polarized and at high takeoff angles (if the added length beyond 1/4 wl
is horizontal).  This is fine for close in contacts, but normally
doesn't help for low angle DX.

The antennas shown in ON4UN, 1st ed, page II-21, figure 2.25 are for
definition of radiation resistance (which is always referred to the
current maxima).   (In ON4UN, 3rd ed, these are on page 9-8, figure
9-10.)  For all four antennas shown, the feedpoint is between ground and
the bottom of the wire.  (It's not clear to me what the capacitor shown
is for.)  My EZNEC model of a straight, 3/8 wl wire, bare #14 copper
(98.357 ft at 3.75 MHz), has a feed Z of 237 + j 651 ohms (inductive).
The current max is on segment 36 of 100, or about 0.24 wl from the top.
Of course, an inverted L will have a different feed Z, depending on the
ratio of vertical to horizontal wire, etc.

73, Terry N6RY