Re: [TowerTalk] Open wire line

To: Rob Atkinson <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Open wire line
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 09:54:22 -0800

Rob Atkinson wrote:

> BTW, the usual method for typing superscripts and subscripts in basic
> ASCII is  just the number or letter or Greek spelled out (first letter
> cap if capital Greek letter) right after the variable; two asterisks
> if an exponent.  for example I squared  I**2  For square or cubed
> root, I**(1/2) or I**(1/3).   Subscripts are in curves.  Inductive
> reactance = X(l)
> K5UJ

This Fortran notation went out of use decades ago, except for
legacy Fortran programming.

Instead the "carrot" (upper case 6) or "^" is now the standard.

I've never seen X(l) used for X-sub-l either.  If X were
a vector, then X(2) might work for X-sub-2, but in this case,
X is not a vector.

Rick N6RK