Re: [TowerTalk] Rotatator Lubes

To: al_n6ta@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotatator Lubes
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 03:09:18 -0500

al_n6ta@comcast.net wrote:
> My HDR-300 will become my T2X replacement to turn a 4 el Steppir on my Rohn
> 45.  It is a lot more cost effective than buying a Spid or Prosistel .
>
> However, it has been sitting in storage since I acquired in 1996 as-is and
> used.  It seems 'normal' on the bench so, what the heck?  But, HyGain said
> that the grease should be checked after 3 to 4 years to determine if it is
> 'adequate' .  So, I cracked the gear case and found lots, lots of yellow-tan
> grease that was still soft.  I could re-distribute it to be mainly on the
> gears where I assume it started its service in the gearbox.

I now use white Lithium grease in most of these applications.  It's good
and it stands up to the elements quite well.
I have a rather large array "up there" and went through a pair of
HDR-300s in just a couple of weeks of windy weather. They would have
held the antennas fine, but I wanted to use them even if the winds were
high.
> It is said to be special low temperature grease to be stable from -60 and 280
> F.

That sounds like the standard Lithium grease available in tubs at most
auto supply stores at reasonable prices.

73

Roger (K8RI)