Re: [TowerTalk] Raising Universal Tower,

To: "Dale Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Raising Universal Tower,
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 10:05:58 -0800
Dale Martin wrote:

> Not a tower, but N5LZ in Utah sent this link to some videos he made
> helping
> WF4U raise an 80' vertical - 4" aluminum irrigation pipe.
>
> Pretty smooth.
>
> http://www.vimeo.com/7973762
>
> 73,
> Dale, kg5u

I've done this kind of operation many times.  I don't
see any side guying on the gin pole and it looks like the
gin pole is swaying from side to side.  Maybe it just
doesn't show in the video.  If there really is no side
guying, that is a disaster waiting to happen.  Not sure
what the second man is doing running around.  I never needed
an assistant.  One time I did one of these raisings in
complete darkness with only a flashlight, and still no
assistant.

Also, I tie the end of the rope to a ground anchor near where
the pulleys will land.  Then I can pull from a distance and
not stand underneath the gin pole.  It is dangerous to stand
underneath if something goes wrong.

Rick N6RK