Re: [TowerTalk] Reduced size receiving antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Reduced size receiving antennas
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 13:43:38 -0600
The only penalty for making a smaller than normal size K9AY is that it
will have less gain.  The smaller sizes actually have a better pattern
on the higher bands.  Gain versus size on 1.8 MHz are approximately as
follows:

Normal size = -27 dBi
3/4 size = -33.7 dBi
1/2 size = -38.5 dBi

The amount of preamp gain you need somewhat depends on the noise level
at your location.  In the winter at my location the band noise on 160
gets very low, and although I have a different receiving antenna than a
K9AY, I use a preamp with enough gain to bring the receive antenna gain
up equal to the transmit antenna gain.  You won't be able to use that
much gain other than in the winter time and at a low noise location.

Jerry, K4SAV