Re: [TowerTalk] Gin pole

To: Bill K2OWR <k2owr@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Gin pole
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:43:57 -0500

Bill K2OWR wrote:
> :::: I will be using the single clamp type gin pole fixture sold by
> the guy on ebay all the time for $140. I used this type for many years
> and find that the dual clamp arrangement, while likely to be stronger,
> was not needed and only added to the complexity of moving the whole
> system as I add sections to the tower. I also used only 12' of pole,
> but more would be nice.
>
> I'll check out the place in Utah, but shipping stuff 12' long is real
> expensive. This is why w9iix breaks it down to two six footers, but
> then he goes and charges the high shipping cost anyway....go figure.
>
> As to using the steel fence pipe, no way. First the weight is very
> difficult to handle and stresses the tower legs too much, plus the
> fixture demands 2" OD, so that's out.
Other than the weight, there is little difference and the pole is only
about 30# which isn't all that difficult to handle even for a guy my age.

OTOH I always use a two clamp fixture as that eliminates much of the
bending moment at the tower leg.
Also with the two clamp method I find it much easier to move the pole up
the tower.  Just loosen the top clamp on the mast and disconnect from
the tower leg. Slide it up the mast to the next position and clamp to
the tower leg, but not the mast.  Then go down to the bottom clamp,
leave attached to the mast and disconnect from the tower leg. Push the
mast up to the proper position for the next lift and clamp to the tower
leg, then tighten the top mount onto the mast.  That leaves the pole
attached to the tower at all times.

> As I said b4, I used 12' of 2"OD .125 wall 6061 for years on many
> towers and had no problems.
> So where's the one I used to have?
> In my haste in moving from NJ it somehow got "lost" with a friend who
> can't/won't even look for it. I guess it's hard to find.
>
> Funny thing is, here in my area in TN, the crane guy only wants $250
> to "hang" my little 80' Rohn 25, but when he asked me "how do I unhook
> it once it's up" I decided he may not be the real deal :-)

Sounds legit.  He wants to know who's going to unhook the thing from the
crane. He won't be doing that as he's running the thing.   He stands the
thing up with guys attached to the tower,  Some one hooks up the guys
and then goes up the tower to unhook the crane. (Done it many times) You
can also use a "remote release" where you just give a good tug on the
rope, but that carries the risk of getting caught on the way up with a
... premature release which is kinda hard on towers and antennas. Tends
to scare the ground crew as well.

In "the old days" we used to ride up with the load.  It's amazing how
many of us survived.

73

Roger (K8RI)