Re: [TowerTalk] Splicing and weatherproofing ladder line

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Splicing and weatherproofing ladder line
From: EZ Rhino <EZRhino@fastmovers.biz>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 18:59:10 -0700
Yeah, that's what I remembered. It's the lead that breaks down.
Sorry for the confusion.

Chris

On Dec 25, 2009, at 18:57 , David Gilbert wrote:

1.  Solder does not break down due to UV.

2.  The lead in lead-tin solder will react with moisture to form a white
crumbly oxide.  Exposed to the elements, the entire joint will
eventually become porous and brittle.  That's why plumbing solder is
lead-free, and that is what I use (otherwise unprotected) for all my
outdoor solder connections.

73,
Dave   AB7E