Re: [TowerTalk] Splicing and weatherproofing ladder line

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Splicing and weatherproofing ladder line
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 21:37:30 EST
I make high voltage (1380 volts and up) for a living. Trust me, NO amount
of tape will stop moisture. Unless, you have training on moisture blocks,
Just an observation..
73- Chuck KI9A
In a message dated 12/25/2009 8:33:10 P.M. Central Standard Time, writes:

On Fri,  25 Dec 2009 13:54:14 -0600, Wes Attaway \(N5WA\) wrote:

>Twist the  wires together over about a 1-inch length.  Solder the
>and massage some coax-seal around the joints.

I use  ladder line for 2-wire Beverages. Soldering 300 ft out in the woods
not  easy (unless you have a butane iron, which I do not). The one time I
to splice it I stripped and twisted as Wes suggested, then bonded the
together using small split-bolt connectors. So that the two split  bolts
wouldn't short out to each other, I offset the splice by an few  inches.

It should also be noted that soldered copper joints are very  likely to
at the joint when subjected to flexing, as with wire  antennas in the wind.
Copper split bolt connectors are an excellent way to  splice wire antennas
without soldering. I lock them down real well with  pliers, then tape them
well to minimize oxidation.

Jim  K9YC

TowerTalk  mailing  list