Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower & rotor question, stacking question

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower & rotor question, stacking question
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 07:36:52 -0800
I have an HDX-5106, which has the same top section.
It is important to understand that there is a solid
top plate welded into the top section, so the rotor
must go in from the side.  However, there is a spot
with a missing brace that allows the rotor to go
into the side of the tower.  I have a K7NV prop pitch
in mine that is just barely smaller than the tower,
but it can be maneuvered in through the opening.
This is unlike some towers where a rotor that is
small enough to fit once inside the tower cannot
be used because of lack of access from the side.
Even with the HDX-5XX, if the rotor is too long,
you will still not be able to get it into the tower.
However, the prop pitch is probably longer than
most rotors, and it goes in, if you use just the
right technique.

You can determine the maximum diameter circle the
fits between the legs from the UST documentation
and then see if the HDR-300 fits in that circle.
The rotor plate is removable, so you take it out
and drill whatever holes you want to in it.

BTW, to install the rotor, you lay down the tower
and support the bottom end on some timbers or
something, then crank it "up" a considerable distance
until the rotor opening is accessible.  On my tower,
the tower has to be cranked "up" to a length of 50
feet or so.  If you don't have this much room, you
would have to disconnect the pulldown cable from
the top section and pull it out manually.

Rick N6RK