Re: [TowerTalk] Reusing EHS guy wire

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Reusing EHS guy wire
From: Jim Hoge <knowkode@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 10:10:55 -0800 (PST)
Guy,

I do not reuse hardware on towers. Nuts, bolts, cable clamps, etc. I view it as
a cheap insurance policy. Remember, it's not only got to hold up the tower but
a climber or two as well.

On a recent tower project, I was called out to perform a list of services and
changes to the compliment of antennas. As is my custom before any work starts,
a ground level inspection is performed which includes using binoculars or a
scope on the tower. Next, a climb is made to note what needs attention. What
could not be seen from the ground was alarming. The top attachments for the
guys were failing. I noted one or two broken strands where the guywire made its
loop around the attachment points. (Yes, there were thimbles.) When I replaced
the guys, I really had a pucker factor. One of the guys had three broken
strands on the outside of the loop and two broken strands on the inside of the
loop for a net of two intact strands. After I had the old guys on the ground, I
noted several more broken strands and not all of them were where the guy looped
back on itself. I suspect the damage was caused by too loose of guys, allowing
them to gallop in the wind.

While it seems I could have gone through the old guys and saved what I thought
was okay for another project, I sent the material to the recycler. I have
frustrated a customer or two by disposing of the old hardware but I stand by my
belief that new hardware is cheap insurance.

gl es be safe,
Jim W5QM