Re: [TowerTalk] lp V stepIR

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lp V stepIR
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 14:16:54 -0500
Gents:

     Fig. 5 in the URL is a good depiction of how only a few of the total
elements are actually active on any one frequency.  If one could run similar
models for increasing frequencies across the design BW of the LP one would
see the peak current move from the back of the LP (longer elements) towards
the front.  It is for this reason that the gain of an LP is considerably
lower for a given boom length than a similar Yagi - only a few elements out
of the six or eight or ten are active at a time.  However, the SWR is
maintained at a low level throughout the entire BW, the main advantage of
LPs over Yagis.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F