Re: [TowerTalk] Using Stubs to Reject Harmonics

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Using Stubs to Reject Harmonics
From: "Tim Duffy K3LR" <>
Reply-to:, "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 13:49:36 -0600
Hi Jim:

I always wanted to test the 1/4 wave "insertion" theory, but never got
around to it. I would love to hear what the difference is - if you can

Tim K3LR

Date:   96-03-31 11:55:51 EST
From:   W8JITom@AOL.COM

Like anyone would be interested, but I reviewed the data again.

Optimum attenuation occurs when cascaded stubs are place 1/4 wl apart (or
multiples thereof) *at the REJECT frequency*.

Optimum SWR bandwidth *at the pass frequency* occurs when pass stubs are 1/4
wl apart at the pass frequency.

Optimum harmonic suppression, if the source favors a low Z load at the
harmonic's frequency, occurs when the first reject stub is 1/4 wl away from
the source at the reject frequency. This is the usual case, and varies with
the PA's internal layout more than anything else.

Optimum harmonic suppression, if the source favors a high Z load at the
harmonic's frequency, occurs when the first stub is right at the output
This is a rare case.

I can't find any exceptions to these general statements.