[TowerTalk] 80M Delta loop

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80M Delta loop
From: "Jon Casamajor" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 19:06:11 -0800

Sorry my attempt at a graphic depiction of the 80m Loop I had run got so
hosed up with the formatting.  A little imagination will get you the point
and is probably better than me trying to re-do it. Hi hi

Hi Stu,

I did exactly what you are describing several years ago.  I thought I had

documented the design but, darned if I can find it right now.  The antenna

was a full wave 80m delta loop cut for the low end of the band. I was

chasing 5BDXCC and CW was where I did most of my operating.

The loop was pretty much equilateral with the apex at the top of my HDX-572

tower.  I make it fit, I tilted the loop out probably 10 to 15 degrees. I

used an Almond tree on one end and a 15' pole on the other end for support.

The base of the triangle was probably 12-15' above the ground.  I fed the

loop 1.4 wave down from the Apex on the left side looking at the loop from

the tower.

                              |    /\

                              |   /  \    Not to scale but should

                              |  /    \   give you the picture. where X is
the feed point;

                              | /      \   The loop was actually

                              |/        \  pretty much equilateral...diagram

                              /          \

                             /            \

                            / |            \

         FEED POINT  -----X|                \

I used  a length of 75 Ohm RG11 I think it was to match the loop and at

3.505 it shows about 50 ohms  and 1.1:1 VSWR.

I used this antenna on both cW and phone with a tuner for 75m. it was not at

all optimum on 75, but it would radiate pretty well. On CW this antenna was

an absolute killer and with my Henry 2K-3 I didn't wait in line too long in

pile ups.  This feed point will give you vertical polarization so it isn't

the best receiving antenna in noisy conditions and I often used my 2 el 40m

Yagi to listen to weak signals with pretty good success.

Getting one of these loops up and tuned takes some effort, I think I had to

whittle on the length 3 or 4 times but once you have it up and singing, you

will not regret the effort.  Mine, unfortunately came down in a wind storm

just a couple of years ago and I have never put it back up.  It helped me

get that 5BDXCC which was the mission.  The full wave loop is a real killer

if you can keep it up.

I'm sure with a little research you can find the formula for the RG-11

matching stub. From memory it was in the neighborhood of 20 something feet

and I think the design was from one of the ON4UN articles.  Good luck, you

will love the loop on 80m!

Jon Casamajor

"Politicians are like diapers...they both need changing often and for the
same reason"   Mark Twain.