Re: [TowerTalk] Red-Tailed Hawks

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Red-Tailed Hawks
From: "Tommy Alderman" <>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 08:24:43 -0500
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:09 PM
To: Tower and HF antenna construction topics.

I have a friend who used to have hawks and take them hunting. I remember him

saying to be sure to wear a hat of some sort to cover your hair, or the hawk

might mistake your hair for a small animal and attack your head visciously!
He said when attacking rabbits, a hawk will drive its beak through the back
of the rabbits skull and along with its talons, tear the daylights out of
the rabbit.
I would imagine one could inflict some serious damage to your head,  while
you are trying to defend yourself hanging on a tower.   Normally they won't
attack people, but wear a hat of some sort, not the watch cap type, to hide
your hair.

73 Buddy WB4M

[BQF] This is VERY good advice! At an FOC dinner in Orlando, I walked out
onto the roof of the Holiday Inn to put up a temporary antenna, bare headed
and was immediately attacked by a red-tail hawk who tried to lock his talons
in my head. Drew a little blood, but no major damage. 'Course that was back
when I had hair!

Tom - W4BQF