Re: [TowerTalk] Cable loss revisted.

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cable loss revisted.
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 00:49:53 -0500

Jim Thomson wrote:
> <snip>
>
> IMO... investing in lower loss coax is the real answer.  TX/RX signals lost
> in the coax, are lost forever.
>
> <snip>
That's why I say, "Purchase and use the largest coax you can afford"
The DC resistance will be lower than the regular cables used so it will
excel at low HF, and the dielectric will be less on higher frequencies.
I'd use all 7/8" Heliax with the copper tubing center conductor, except
there are over 12 connectors in each coax run. (I can usually get the
cable cheap or free)  It's bad enough at $13 each for crimp connectors
on LMR-600, let alone the ones for 7/8".  Sure you can sometimes find
pull outs and I'd still need to use pigtails on each end, but hauling
that stuff to the top of the tower is *work* <:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)