Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Loss -- RG-Numbers Don't Tell us Much

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Loss -- RG-Numbers Don't Tell us Much
From: HansLG@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 18:13:44 EST

Rick,

You can measure the losses with open OR shorted end with the MFJ-259. You
just have to make sure the other end has a "loss-free" short or open end.
(If  you put a dummy load in the Loss Mode, you measure infinite loss, which
is a  correct assumption with that method.) So if you just know that he othe
end of  the cable is not connected to "anything" you will do OK.

Hans - N2JFS

In a message dated 2/5/2010 1:37:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
richard@karlquist.com writes:

Jim  Brown wrote:

> Not as ideal as you might think. The problem is that  most coax is
> shipped on reels with access to only one end. To make a  transmission
> loss measurement, you must unreel it to get a connector  on both
> ends.

No, see below

> Now, if you  happen to own instrumentation that allows you to measure
> that loss on  a 1,000 ft spool from only one end, that's another
> story. :)

See below

> 73,
>
> Jim K9YC

I  happen to own instrumentation that allows me to measure loss from
one end;  it's called an MFJ-259B.  Cable loss is a built in function.
As long  as the far end is open, cable loss is half of return loss.
You can also  calculate loss from VSWR.  For example, 3:1 means your
loss is 3  dB.

Rick  N6RK