Re: [TowerTalk] XM-240 hat problem

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] XM-240 hat problem
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 12:13:37 -0600
I haven't had any X-hat elements breaking off, but I have had a problem
with water running down the elements of the X-hat and into the hole that
is used to mount the X-hat to the main element.  Of course the loading
coil is right next to the X-hat so the water goes there since the center
of the coil is hollow.  Not a good feature.  Actually with the element
caps supplied, the element will pretty much fill with water.  Solution
was to plug the hole with duct seal, drill weep holes on the underside
of the elements, and replace the end caps with a porous plug.

Jerry, K4SAV