Re: [TowerTalk] tower installation HG52SS

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower installation HG52SS
From: Kipton Moravec <kip@kdream.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 21:22:56 -0600
On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 15:17 -0800, jimlux wrote:
> Michael Goins wrote:
> > English prof here, Hank. I have no idea what an "overturning moment"
> > is and I'm not sure about the "plan dimensions."
>
> A "moment" is a rotational force (e.g. that which wants to twist, turn,
> or tip something). It's force times distance from the pivot. It's the
> same as torque in Physics, but torque has a different meaning in
> mechanical engineering (in connection with a pair of moments that have
> no translational resultant forming a couple)

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I have been following this
discussion, and the comments suggest drilling holes into the rock base
and attaching the rebar into the holes with something like epoxy. That I
can understand.

He is 3 1/2 feet down. Would it be a good idea to also drill
horizontally into the sides and epoxy rebar into the sides also? It
seems to me (uneducated in his stuff) that would have a big effect
preventing the forces from moving the hunk of concrete. With all the
rebar cemented vertically you are depending on the strength of the epoxy
(plus the weight of the concrete) to prevent the tower from falling
over.  But if you also went in the sides, then you would also have to
shear the rebar to get it to tip over.

Of course you would have to be low so you do not have a chance of
breaking out the top of the stone. Am I thinking correctly or is there
something I am missing?

--
Kipton Moravec AE5IB .- . ..... .. -...

"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
--Mark Twain