[TowerTalk] collapsible/foldable booms

To: Towertalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] collapsible/foldable booms
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 15:34:50 -0800
I'm looking at some ideas for a portable yagi, and I'm looking for
something to use as the boom in lengths from 20-40 feet.  It needs to be
"stowable" in something, say 4 feet long (like a golf bag), and not too
heavy.  Something that needs "trussing" for rigidity is ok (because,
after all the boom has to support the element weights, so basically it
needs decent compression strength, without buckling)

Light weight would be nice too.  The surplus 4' military mast sections
run about 2.7 pounds/4', so a 20 foot set would be 13-14 pounds.  That
seems a bit bigger than I'd need, so if I could get down to the 5-8
pound range, that would be nice.

The spiderbeam uses 1.15 m long fiberglass tubes, 35mm in diameter, so
it's in the same general size as the aluminum mast sections ( a bit
smaller..), they're about the same price as aluminum tubes.

So, any other clever ideas out there?  I'd love to be able to nest the
tubes, because it gets to be quite a bundle.