Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Coax Loss-Dealers - Response DAVIS R

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Coax Loss-Dealers - Response DAVIS R
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 06:38:31 -0800
Roger (K8RI) wrote:
> My problem is neither the loss per connector or number of connectors. It
> is the breakdown voltage when running QRO into a very high SWR at the
> band edges on 75 and 160.
>
> I standardized on N connectors, but they don't have the voltage ratings
> to handle that kind of voltage. I see at much as 8:1 at the band edges
> on 75 and even higher on 160 so I've had to go back to UHF connectors on
> the HF bands. IT's not a problem or hasn't been on 40 through 10, or
> 3ven 6-meters...so far.  But I need to have higher voltage ratings for
> at least 160 and 75 and the only way I can see doing that is with true
> UHF connectors even on LMR-600 even if I have to resort to "Clamp type
> connectors"

Have you actually had breakdown occur?  The "databook" ratings for
connectors are quite a bit less than the actual AC breakdown voltage,
for a variety of reasons.  For instance, PL-259/SO-239 gets used for
20kV all the time, although the spacing is wider on that connector,
particularly across the face.  There's also lots of different kinds of
N, in terms of the dielectric construction.  Some have air dielectric
quite a ways back from the connector face, others have the dielectric
close to the face (with correspondingly different dimensions so the Z
works out ok).  There's also the difference in the shield connection of
the N: whether it's a single solid piece or 4 little tabs with slots.

There's also HN connectors, which are a high voltage N (even though the
databook says 1500V for both), although I suspect that 7/16 DIN might be
a better choice (cheaper).  An HN can not intermate with an N (3/4 vs
5/8" thread diameter).

Having used a variety of connectors for purposes they were not specified
for in the HV world, you need to actually test the connector in your
application.  A variac and neon sign transformer (or Oil Burner Ignition
Transformer) makes a good start for a sort of hi-pot tester.
On the other hand, you're looking at high Z applications, so maybe
something like dual banana jacks would be better.  The impedance
discontinuity at 2MHz is going to be negligble.