Re: [TowerTalk] Cable replacement MA-40

To: towertalk@contesting.com, ae2j36@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cable replacement MA-40
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:41:51 EST

In a message dated 2/26/2010 12:01:24 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  The cable on my MA-40 shows significant rust.  I  intend to replace it
this
spring, as well as do some preventive maintenance  on my 3 element Steppir.
US Tower sells the cable for $99 plus  shipping.  I am seeking advice on
this
project, as I have never done  this kind of work before, and would like to
be
prepared.

    What's significant rust? Surface rust doesn't  really count. If you
have flakes of oxidized rust coming off, that's  significant. The reason I
mention this is that I have never seen a ham  crank-up with rust that bad and
am
trying to save you unnecessary work if  possible.

>  Is the cable offered by US Tower the best  choice?

    Wire rope is wire rope. You want 7x19 galvanized  steel cable in the
appropriate size. What you get from UST is precut cable  with crimped terminati
ons.

>  What is involved in attaching  the cable to the interior of the mast?

>  Are there any special  precautions I need to take?  I intend to do this
job
with the  assistance of a local handyman, who has extensive experience with
various  issues of home maintenance.  He has never worked on towers  or
antennas.

What you have to do is have the tower  horizontal and then slide the
sections apart so you'll need enough room  to do that. Other than that, follow
the
existing cable paths and you should be  good to go. GL.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH