Re: [TowerTalk] Cable replacement MA-40

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cable replacement MA-40
From: "David Thompson" <>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:59:06 -0500
Great points Steve,

Too many hams replace cables far too often.  The only other reason is to
replace a cable is when strands have broken off and can be seen.  I have
replaced the cables in my 71 foot crank up 2 times in 41 years.  The bottom
section has been replaced 4 times as the cable actually broke.  Solving a
rubbing problem with the sections has cured that situation.

My maintenance is to spray the cables every two years with Pre-Lube 6.
Checking the cables for broken strands at that time completes the

73 Dave K4JRB