[TowerTalk] Rotator loops

Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotator loops
From: Pete Smith <>
Reply-to:, "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 06:36:49 -0500
I notice that typical ham rotator loops involve an unsupported loop that
is perpendicular to the mast, and attached at top and bottom.  It seems
to me that this means a lot of flexing through 360 degrees, and in the
wind.  I have also noticed that TV station remote trucks seem to use
another solution for their rotating dishes - they wrap a few turns of
coax loosely around the mast, so that a one-turn rotation only slightly
loosens or tightens the wrap.  Seems like this would be a better, more
durable practice for ham installations too.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
The Reverse Beacon Network at, blog at