Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor loops

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor loops
From: "Danny Pease" <dpease@adams.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 10:22:09 -0600
I didn't think it was done any other way :-)

I do a full loop plus even with 213 and up a couple of turns for Superflex.
I have to laugh every time someone says you can't run Heliax around a
rotating mast. There is no reason you couldn't use big Heliax (1 5/8 or
larger) around a rotating mast if the loop was large enough and there was
some horizontal support for the loop.

NG9R

I notice that typical ham rotator loops involve an unsupported loop that
is perpendicular to the mast, and attached at top and bottom.  It seems
to me that this means a lot of flexing through 360 degrees, and in the
wind.  I have also noticed that TV station remote trucks seem to use
another solution for their rotating dishes - they wrap a few turns of
coax loosely around the mast, so that a one-turn rotation only slightly
loosens or tightens the wrap.  Seems like this would be a better, more
durable practice for ham installations too.

73, Pete N4ZR

## It does work.. and very well too.  The usual procedure is to mount the
lowest yagi a little higher up the mast though.   IE: 2-3'  instead of the
usual
3"-6".

##  using that method you can actually use coax that is very rigid, like
 LMR-600.    I have  see cases  where  LMR-1200 was used in
the same fashion.... 3 x wraps  around the mast, 3'  in diam.
They both rotated just fine.

later.... Jim   VE7RF