Re: [TowerTalk] Frequent crankup coax recommendation

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Frequent crankup coax recommendation
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 02:57:39 -0500

Brahmangou@aol.com wrote:
> LMR400 is a solid center conductor cable, A poor choice for cranking up and
>  down.

Depends... If you are talking about a mast with the coax spiraled around
it like a coiled spring it'll work just fine.
Would I use it that way? Probably not, but I would use it for a rotator
loop if the need arose and I know it works quite well if installed
properly. OTOH, As I ground the coax at the top and bottom of the tower
which means I am going to need a connector in the cable at that point
anyway, I might just as  well install a rotator loop using Davis
BuryFlex (TM) or another good, flexible cable. Three of the 4 loops are
28' while the one to the tri-bander is only about 18'. With 4 cables
bundled together I need all the flexibility I can get.

73

Roger (K8RI)