Re: [TowerTalk] Budget 4-Pack?

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Budget 4-Pack?
From: "J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT" <w2ttt@att.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 06:03:50 -0000
Barry,
I had a similar challenge except that it was 4 x N, where N could be four or
more.  It was also complicated by the fact that sometimes I want to use two
radios with two ports each (PRO3 and PRO2) sometimes with a 6 meter antenna
on each.

What I ended up doing was to make a matrix switching array of four switches
selecting two ports each and a set of two, two position switches to move the
6m antennas into the matrix and four, four to six port switches to select
the antennas into the matrix.  If you want, I can diagram what I build and
email it to you.
While there is no lock-out, you can create a flexible matrix for a variety
of operational mode.

I accomplished this by buying used switches at flea markets and a couple of
new ones on the web and the soldered LOTS of custom length cables using 100%
shielded cables.  This controlled much of the costs, but this is not a
simple project and is mounted on a large board on my wall.  It is fed by 15
ft. jumpers from the lightning arrestor entry panel.  Again, lots of work
but great therapy!

One last thing to consider is a switching system for when you are worried
about RF from a transmitter crunching a receiver.  This involves the use of
smaller coaxial protection relays, control relays foot switches and
interface cables for the rigs.  I have not built it up yet, but will
probably do so in the next year if I get a 6m amplifier going!

I have given this much thought and have concluded that I am best served by
putting in protection that I can selectively and VERY CAREFULLY override for
those cases where I want to hear from a receiver while transmitting.  Some
might disagree, but my two five element 6m yagis are fed with 100W each from
two different rigs and I am careful not to point them right at each other as
they are only 40 ft apart and offset vertically by only 15 ft.

Thanks & 73,
Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
201.314.6964