[TowerTalk] Orion mast clamp -drilling hole

To: "Towertalk@contesting.com" <Towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Orion mast clamp -drilling hole
From: "Zivney, Terry L." <00tlzivney@bsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 08:32:38 -0500
It is very easy to drill accurate holes for the 3/8" bolt to pin the mast -
just tightly bolt the clamp into place, and then use the holes in the
clamp as a drill guide from each side.  The M2 clamp is thick enough
that the holes make a great guide, even on the tower.  (As I recall,
I don't have  the K7NV instructions here at the office, a slightly
"non-standard" size drill bit is best used; i.e., not 3/8" - I can look
it up tonight.)

BTW, last year the 3/8" grade 8 bolt I used to pin the mast to the
Orion clamp on a K7NV prop pitch sheared on both sides!  The fun part
is to drive the center part of the bolt out of the mast so a new
bolt can be inserted.

Terry Zivney, N4TZ/9