Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor questions

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor questions
From: "Perry - K4PWO" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 14:50:29 -0600
Yep, the hum is because it doesn't know the words... yuk, yuk.  Actually
your memory is correct, you have bad starting capacitors in the control
units.  As I recall, it is about a 6-8 mfd. non-polarized 50-volt cap.  I
think it is marked so it should be easy to find the value.  You have two
options, hunt down a low voltage starting cap from one of the rotor repair
"doctors" or just go to the local electrical motor supplier and get one
rated for 117-volt AC use.  It can be a little lower in capacitance as the
higher voltage rating will usually read a higher cap value at lower voltage.
Luckily, modern starting caps are much smaller than vintage caps so room
shouldn't be a problem (carry the old one with you just in case!).
If the controller has a large ratcheting pointer dial, it is probably an
AR-22 which is fine for small VHF/UHF antennas.

73 de Perry - K4PWO