[TowerTalk] Mixing concrete for a base

To: "Tower Talk" <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mixing concrete for a base
From: "Ed Swiderski, KU4BP" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 18:57:35 -0500

I'm considering mixing my own concrete for my installation. Been trying to
get a grasp on how much cement, gravel and sand to get. My proposed base is
for 70ft of 25G. Total, with the anchors, is 2.2 cu yds. Call it 2.5 since I
plan to "bell" the base.

I was pricing the ingredients today but got a little confused on the amount
of each needed. I looked at 94 lb bags of cement and 50 lb bags for both the
sand and gravel. The problem I had was determining how much in cu yds a bag
would cover. I have seen that a 50 lb bag of sand covers .5 cu yd.

So what I'm looking for is a formula of some sort so I can figure out how
much I will need of each. I've heard of the "1-2-3 rule" but not 100% sure
I'm using it correctly.