[TowerTalk] Beacon interference

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Beacon interference
From: "Robb Urie" <rurie@mywdo.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 13:28:35 -0700
Dave,

Navaid "TV" is a high powered NDB located near your location.  The official
designation is an LOM which is a combined NDB and ILS outer marker, hence
the two letter morse code ID verses a nornal 3 letter for a stand alone NDB.
The NDB operates on 365 kHz at 300 watts, most likely into a small top hat
antenna or small mono pole.  The outer marker operates on 75 MHz and keys a
400 Hz tone without identification.  Both are likely monitored at the air
traffic control tower, but depending on the model, the monitor may be a
simple RF level indicator.  Generally any pilot reports of a missing signal
or ID issues will be relayed to the servicing FAA maintenance shop.  Unless
there is an instance of some type of RF rectification occuring with the NDB
antenna or supporting structure, I would look somewhere else.

You can find the information for this site at www.airnav.com and enter the
ID when prompted.  This will give you the Lat/Long and other data that my
help.  If you
determine that the problem is coming from that site, drop me a email and I
will contact the FAA SSC that maintains it.

Good luck

Robb NØRU